Re: Trick to burning a bootable Debian CD?

Actually, there's

According to Steve Kleiser,
> Greetings,
>
>   What freeware utilities are available that could be used to check the boot sector/MBR of a Debian boot CD using a Windows machine?

This is probably the wrong place to ask about DOS/Windows
utils, but you could do this:

1. get a lnx-bbc or knoppix or morphix or other
run-linux-live-from-CD.  knoppix and morphix at least are
actually Debian.

2. boot in live run-from-cd environment ;-)  Poke around
with the usual Linux tools.

There is a 1.44MB BIOS/DOS-format floppy image on the CD- there is not
"boot sector" kind of thing on a CD outside of that.

> After burning the CD the directory structure looks the way it should, but I'd like to verify the correct location and content (maybe via a checksum?) of the boot sector. Only Windows machines are presently available to me.

Perhaps the real problem is elsewhere.  Is the target an old
machine?  Many of those can't read CD's written at higher
speeds- try writing at 4X or less.  Is the target machine's
BIOS set to boot off CD?  If not you won't get it to boot
off any CD, Debian or not.

-- Tony Godshall