Console font change on startup - breaks laptop

I've noticed that during (sid) startup the font appears to be changed
- both on my desktop box and on the laptop. On the desktop box this is
OK - I get to see more of the boot messages scrolling past before GDM
starts.

But - on the laptop - at the point this switches in - all screens
suddenly turn off (Fujitsu Siemens). I get the same with or without an
external monitor - Fn-10 doesn't do any screen switching, or
anything. I have to hard reset. After a couple of resets it all
suddenly seems to work.

So - on the laptop the console font change seems to be dodgy. But - I
have no idea what is causing this? Is this part of the standard
startup? Have I managed to get a package that does this which can be
removed - if so which?

Thanks for any pointers.

--
Chris