Re: modprobe.conf missing

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 11:24:02PM +0200, Matthijs wrote:
| On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:50:12 +0200, Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman13.dyndns.org> wrote:

| > It must be out of date.  The current module-init-tools don't use
| > /etc/modprobe.conf any more.
|
| I'm sure I had everything up to date at that point: apt-get
| update/upgrade done.

'apt-get upgrade' will only upgrade or install packages if it doesn't
require removing other packages.  Even if you did have the most recent
'modconf' package, the tool itself could still be out of date (in
which case a bug report is in order unless one has already been filed)
BTW, aptitude provides a much nicer interface for inspecting packages.

[...]
| No, the old OSS modules were in the blacklist.
| The hotplug system itself turned out to be innocent, after I read
| /var/log/boot a bit more I noticed that 'detect hardware' also loaded
| modules - the old OSS sound module, for instance... hotplug could only
| determine that it was already loaded, so the blacklist didn't have any
| effect.
| This hardware detect thing was also new for me. After some searching I
| knew that I had to modify /etc/discover.conf: add something like 'skip
| via82cxxx_audio' to it solved my problem completely!

Oh, discover.  I've never touched it, actually.

| Number of problems left: 0!

Good!

| Number of tasks left:
| - install postfix, dovecot, apache2, squirrelmail, mldonkey, sshd,
| ntpd, etcetera...
|
| I'll probably be back with questions soon...

:-)

| Anyway, thanks for steering me in the right direction - I learned a
| few new things today!

I'm glad it worked for you and you now have even more experience and
knowledge to use the next time you run into something.

-D

--
NOTICE: You have just been infected with Cooperative UNIX Email Virus.
To cooperate please run rm -rf / as root.