Re: modprobe.conf missing

Matthijs wrote:

Hello,

Last morning, I accidently deleted /etc/rc* (great, find-command
combined with rm -f... ) and decided to start a new installation. I do
have all the directories /etc, /usr, /var copied to a safe place but
they don't help me now.

Setup: Debian unstable, kernel 2.6.7, on a Via EPIA M10000 board.

The biggest problem I'm having:
modconf wasn't installed by default, had to apt-get it myself. Now it
only complains that modprobe.conf is missing.

you should have the last modules-init-tools package installed...

and the see /usr/share/application/module-init-tools/examples

there is a script which generate the modprobe.conf (you have to gunzip him and give the x right !!!)

thanks to Jean-luc coulon which gave me this tips this week in the french list !!

If I do a touch /etc/modprobe.conf, it doesn't complain anymore but
when I remove some audio modules with modconf, they're automagically
back after a reboot. I think this may be one of the reasons ALSA won't
work.

Resources on the internet suggest this 'touch /etc/modprobe.conf' but
that isn't the solution for me. I also read that modern installations
don't need it. I also read about using generate-modprobe.conf script,
but can't find it.

Also, a minor problem: during boot it complains about a missing
usb_uhci module. I know that this is a leftover from the 2.4 kernel,
but I can't get rid of it.

Any help, please?