Re: modprobe.conf missing

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 06:29:58AM +0200, Matthijs wrote:
[...]

| Setup: Debian unstable, kernel 2.6.7, on a Via EPIA M10000 board.
|
| The biggest problem I'm having:
| modconf wasn't installed by default, had to apt-get it myself.

That's no problem, it isn't essential.

| Now it
| only complains that modprobe.conf is missing.

It must be out of date.  The current module-init-tools don't use
/etc/modprobe.conf any more.

    module-init-tools (3.1-pre2-1) unstable; urgency=medium

      * New upstream release. (Closes: #254204)
      * Now /etc/modprobe.d/ is processed by modprobe. This means that
        /etc/modprobe.conf and /lib/modules/modprobe.conf are not needed
        anymore and update-modules is now a no-op. Executable scripts in
        /etc/modprobe.d/ are not supported anymore.
        /etc/modprobe.conf will be removed or moved to /etc/modprobe.d/.

     -- Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it>  Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:14:17 +0200

| If I do a touch /etc/modprobe.conf, it doesn't complain anymore

Naturally :-).

| but when I remove some audio modules with modconf,

I thought modconf only modified /etc/modules.  You can edit that by
hand too -- it is just a simple listing of modules to load at boot
time.   Just out of curiosity, does /etc/modprobe.conf contain
anything after you change something with modconf.

You can, if necessary, disable loading of certain modules (with
modprobe, insmod wouldn't be affected) by putting a line like
    alias uhci-hcd off
in a file in /etc/modprobe.d/.

| they're automagically back after a reboot.

What loads them?  Is it /etc/modules?  Is it hotplug?

| I think this may be one of the reasons ALSA won't work.

What modules are they?  ALSA should "just work" if you have a
relatively recent sound card.  (my SB Pro just works if I list
snd-sb8 in /etc/modules and the IO and IRQ parameters in
/etc/modprobe.d/)

The alsa-base package installs a hotplug blacklist containing all of
the OSS modules so that hotplug won't try and load them automatically.
Perhaps the issue is that you don't have that blacklist.

    alsa-driver (1.0.4-2) unstable; urgency=low

        - Blacklist (for hotplug) and skip (for discover) the OSS sound modules.
          Note that we can include the blacklist automatically for hotplug, but
          discover doesn't contain the infrastructure for that, so the file for
          discover is in /usr/share/doc/alsa-base.
          (Closes: #238278, #238694, #240125, #242720)

     -- Steve Kowalik <stevenk@debian.org>  Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:27:55 +1000

| Also, a minor problem: during boot it complains about a missing
| usb_uhci module. I know that this is a leftover from the 2.4 kernel,
| but I can't get rid of it.

My first guess is that it is listed in /etc/modules.  If it is, then
delete that line.

HTH,
-D

--