Re: Configuring X-Windows in Woody (Novice help)

Janjs Jangori wrote:

Many thanks Kent.
The magic number PCI:1:0:0 worked!!!. For the first time I saw the GENOME desktop on my own PC :-). However, the writings are blurred and the mouse pointer is big, but at least I can click and something happens. Oh! my God I have a lot of fiddling to do. I guess I can edit /etc/x11/xf86config-4 to change the settings until i get a good display.

If you directly edit XF86Config-4, it'll no longer be managed by debconf (so that "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" will no longer work). If I were you, I'd avoid editing the file directly unless you have to, and instead use the dpkg-reconfigure tool to modify your X settings.

I ran mv /etc/rc2.d/s99xdm /etc/rc2.d/_s99xdm so that the GUI(GENOME) login will not come because I wanted to edit the /etc/x11/xf86config-4 to try different settings, but now whenever I login it's my blurred screen that comes.

There are four common login managers: xdm, gdm, wdm, and kdm. Even though you disabled xdm, it may be that one of the other three is still starting.

You can press Ctrl-Alt-F2 from your "blurred screen" and get to a text console, and from there shut down whatever dm with "/etc/init.d/[?]dm stop". Then you can run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" to reconfigure your X settings (if you haven't already manually edited /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, in which case you can just continue manually editing the file), then either restart your dm with the "start" instead of "stop" option, or just run "startx".

Don't forget that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace should kill X when you're in X. That might come in handy.

--
Kent