Re: starting up

Hello

Stephen Cradock (<stephencradock@hotmail.com>) wrote:

> Hi all - I am trying to get Debian Linux working as an alternative to
> Windows XP. Uo to a point everything works fine - starting from floppy
> images and basedeb and drivers.tgz I can get linux 2.2.0 running.
>
> The problem is getting X11 going - my Intel 82845G video chipset is
> not recognized, and the i810 driver in the Deb 3.0 package doesn't
> know what to do. Setting video driver="vesa" works to launch XFree86,
> but after login (as root or as a user) the X session crashes during
> 'initializing peripherals'.
>
> Knoppix, with linux 2.4 and XFree86 4.3, works fine, but it's limited
> by not using a permanent linux partition and persistent files.

You can install Knoppix on your hard disk, but it has some
disadvantages, one being that you can't expect timely security updates.

> The i810 driver from Knoppix doesn't work with Deb 3.0, of course....

/If/ there is no driver that you can get from Intel and make work with
XFree 4.1, you can get XFree 4.3 packages for Woody. They are not
completely official, but you will keep the rest of your stable
packages, and the support by the Debian security team, except for the
XFree packages. Go to <http://www.apt-get.org> to find XFree backports.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270