RE: Voyetra Sound Card--lound squeal, hiss

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory Pierce [mailto:prcg@mac.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 8:54 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: Voyetra Sound Card--lound squeal, hiss

-----Original Message-----
From: Kent West [mailto:westk@acu.edu]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 11:38 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

>>Gregory Pierce wrote:
>>
>>>I am having a terrible problem getting any sound out of my speakers
>>>other than a very loud squeal....

I'd next try running "lspci" to see what it says about your chipset;
then maybe run modconf to see if there's a better module match.

You might try upgrading kernels.

I'd shut down X and try playing a tune with with something like "splay",
to remove any sound daemon / X issues from the mix.

--
Kent

Thanks Kent.  I'll give this a try when I get back home tonight.

-Greg

I wonder whether I shouldn't just buy a new, retail version of the card, as
the sound card that is presently in my computer was installed by Dell and
may not be exactly the same as the retail versions which probably are
supported better by OSS and ALSA and the linux kernel.  It is a Dell
Dimension 8100.

Greg