getty's on runlevels 4 & 5

Hi

I was changing my default runlevels the other day as I wanted runlevel 2
to be console only.  But that's next to the point really.

What I was wondering about is that in /etc/inittab there are only
getty's started (per system default) on all 6 VC's for runlevel 2 & 3,
not for runlevel 4 & 5.  Runlevel 4 & 5 only get a getty on one VC.  But
?dm still gets started on all runlevels (appart from 1 & 6 that is of
course).

Not that I'm bothered or want to question it or so.  I was only
wondering if anyone happened to know the reasoning behind this.  Just
out of curiosity.  The (apparenly wrong) knowledge sat somewhere in my
poor brain cells that Debian treated runlevels 2, 3, 4 and 5 exactely
the same and left it to the sysadmin to modify them.

Just being curious really
floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom