Re: getty's on runlevels 4 & 5

--- Floris Bruynooghe <fb102@soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was changing my default runlevels the other day as I wanted runlevel 2
> to be console only.  But that's next to the point really.

Then you don't understand how the runlevels are organised in Debian. I
have explained this in previous posts. X is started in all run-levels 2-5.
You can stop this by reading 'man update-rc.d' for all or any run-levels.

> What I was wondering about is that in /etc/inittab there are only
> getty's started (per system default) on all 6 VC's for runlevel 2 & 3,
> not for runlevel 4 & 5.  Runlevel 4 & 5 only get a getty on one VC.  But
> ?dm still gets started on all runlevels (appart from 1 & 6 that is of
> course).

Runlevel 4 is reserved (thank you, Sun!) so that you can do what you like
with it. It's there for you to define your own runlevel sequence.

> Not that I'm bothered or want to question it or so.  I was only
> wondering if anyone happened to know the reasoning behind this.  Just
> out of curiosity.  The (apparenly wrong) knowledge sat somewhere in my
> poor brain cells that Debian treated runlevels 2, 3, 4 and 5 exactely
> the same and left it to the sysadmin to modify them.

(see previous comment).

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net