Re: Syslog filtering

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 02:37, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:

> Hello all,
> 	I've a couple of servers without monitors attached. My present
> 	way of monitoring system logs on them is ssh. I want to
> 	implement  Syslogs remote logging facility onto those machines
> 	so that I can monitor all the logs on my Linux Desktop client.
>
> 	Following is the procedure I follow:
> 	Put *.* on all servers and do remote logging to my syslog
> 	monitoring machine.
>
> 	On Server:
> 	*.*			@my_syslog_monitor_machine
>
> 	How can I, on my syslog machine, filter the syslog messages on
> 	the basis of hosts. I mean I want logs from server "a" to be
> 	redirected to /dev/tty2, server "b" to /dev/tty3 and so on.
>
> Any suggestions would be of great help.

You have to enable receiving the messages on the machine *GETTING* the
messages. By default most if not all distros turn this off by default.

here is the blurb from the "syslogd(8)" page (or man syslogd)

-r	This option will enable the facility to receive message from the
	network using an internet domain socket with the syslog service 	(see
services(5)).  The default is to not receive any messages 	from the
network.

On Debian you change this in "/etc/init.d/syslogd" changing this line:

        # Options for start/restart the daemons
        #   For remote UDP logging use SYSLOGD="-r"
        #
        SYSLOGD=""

        # Options for start/restart the daemons
        #   For remote UDP logging use SYSLOGD="-r"
        #
        SYSLOGD="-r"

Hope this helps.
--