Re: disk activity monitoring / util

hi ya

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Gabriel Granger wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm running a server with coldfusion MX 6.1and apache 2 under debian of
> course users are complaining about how slow things are running when

what does "how slow  things are"

and presumably the other coldfusion box is running fine at the same time
that the debian box was slow ??

- what is the swap space being used  from free or top
	- if you have more than 64MB of swap being used, you probably want
	to add more physical memory.  add as much memory as swap being
	used  ( using swap space is too slow )

- is DMA turned on ?? ( on presumably your ide disk ) and not an
  scsi-based system

- what speed cpu are you running  and fsb config

- how fast can you compile the linux kernel on that same box ..
  ( should be about 5 minutes to compile linux-2.4.26 or linux-2.6.7
  ( on a typical 1G cpu w/ 512MB of memory
	- celeron will compile in about 8-10 minutes

- how fast can you trasfer 20MB files from xx machine to/from yy machine
  across the network

- what was the debian machine doing during the "time the coldfusion box
  was slow"
	- what jobs is it running ..
	- was there any hung networks (df should finish almost instantly)

- on and on ...

c ya
alvin