Re: what package to install a *working* X?

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 01:20 am, Alexander Schmehl wrote:

> > If so, WTF is it?
>
> x-window-system-core

Definitely not that, but I think maybe those who said "x-window-system" are
right.  That package was uninstallable today.  Maybe that's why I had such a
rough time of it.  I think, in retrospect, I did manually install as many of
the components in that metapackage as were installable, and that eventually
did the trick.

> Because you don't need a local running X server. You need just a X
> server running somewhere.

Interesting.  You and everyone else who pointed that out are right of course.
I never thought of it that way.  I run everything on the server and just run
X and nothing else on my terminals, but I could somehow wire it up to let
them run the applications on their own processors and connect to the server's
X server.  That would be pointless in my case, which is probably why I forgot
it was even possible.

My bad.  Sorry to everyone for the rant.  I spent an entire day of my vacation
at my boss's house, wrestling with his daughter's computer.  Tried Mandrake
10.0 because Mandrake is more stupid friendly, but it kept mangling the pppoe
stuff.  So I tried Debian.  (I was tired of fighting with everything being in
a stupid place anyway, with a package manager I couldn't use efficiently.)
Didn't think to try Knoppix or something.  Noooo.  Go whole hog, format
Mandrake, net install.  Debian will get it right.  But it kept mangling the
pppoe stuff too.  Couldn't get the damn thing up to save my life.  Drove
across town to a working computer, STFWed for an hour, and finally decided to
say the hell with it and demand that my boss buy a router.  That took care of
the pppoe problems, and then I spent another four hours doing a net install
(I forgot that DSL isn't terribly fast) and trying to twiddle everything I
could think of just so to get it back to the state Mandrake was in before I
obliterated it.  Whee.

This was for the best in the long run though.  I guess I've become a complete
Debian fanboy.  I can't stand the sight of anything else.  I hate using
non-Debian distros almost as much as I hate using Windows.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/