starting X hangs on network timeout

I'm not sure yet on what package to report this bug, but was wondering
if anyone else experiences it too.

When starting X with a configured network and no cable, it hangs for
about 30 seconds until it starts (which is consistent with network
timeouts). If I disable the network or not configure the ethernet card
it starts immediately.

This started now with the latest X upgrade (it seems like more and more
things are bypassing the /etc/hosts file, don't know if its this
though).

And this is after finally fixing exim4 not to hang with no network
cable.