Re: How Might I Help?

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:53:52AM -0700, anlace@whidbey.net wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have been using Debian with KDE since December and really love it.  I
> haven't found it to be too challenging, and most of my questions and issues
> were easily answered with research into lists like this one and google
> searching.
>
> My question for you all is this, how might I help?  I want to give back to
> this extraordinary community.  I don't have the inclination to write code,
> I'm not a programmer so can't really help in that way.  I can edit and
> proof-read copy for user manuals etc, and I also have extensive experience
> with graphics and layout programs from years of being a professional graphic
> designer.  How can I contribute?
>
> I am willing to troubleshoot graphic and layout programs, edit copy for user
> manuals, and/or contribute graphics as much as my schedule permits (paying
> jobs before gratis).
>
> I am particularly keen to assist in areas where I still need MS Windows (color
> management, pre-press, professional quality graphics and layout programs), my
> motive is to help where I can to bring Linux into the same usability as
> Windows and Mac in these arenas so that I can free myself from dependence on
> MS or Apple completely.
>
> Peace,
> Gail
Hi Gail,
welcome to the community. Free and open source software is, as some have
observed, a community. If you want to see who 'we' are, check out the
web page at http://planet.debian.net  it shows the depth and breath of
some of the folks who contribute and their everyday lives. The need to
' help others on lists' is a great thing. We all learn a
particular set of software (that we use on debian) and can help others
use those tools or introduce other to those tools we use if it is unknow to
them. One other thing is documentation. You can write, proofread,
translate (if you know any of the multitudes of languages other then
british/us english). I, myself, used to use pagemaker and quark many
years ago and have tried to find a libre software replacement. Have you
used 'scribus'? if so, you can contribute by giving feedback on that! I
think of it as a pagemaker wana-be. Linux has started to get color
management but only in a tiny way (see: gimp and scribus as the two big
pacakges with it).  These are only a few ways! One other way is to get
libre software in the hands of others! I try to carry a knoppix disk
where ever I go to hand out.
Any way, best of luck, and have fun!
-Kev

--