Re: help

Darlene Hunsinger wrote:

I, of course, am a newbie. I can't get my printer or my digital camera installed. My nephew installed debian then went to boot camp for 15 weeks. I have a root password, but I'm not sure what to do with it. My daughter just started college and I really need the printer. I just got the camera and I'd really like to download my pics and print some out if the printer worked. I have a HP PSC 2110 printer and a Canon PowerShot S410 Elph camera. Please tell a computer lingo illiterate how to install the proper linux drivers for these two pieces of hardware.

Oh well, I'd back your daughter against you, but then I'm not sure what "college" means in your area: here it would suggest your daughter is in her late teens.

The good news is both should actually work. I recently got email from a bloke at HP who should actually know saying all current and near-future HP PSC-type products are supported by the current HP Officejet software.

You didn't say which debian: I assume you're running Sarge and that is good news.

Plug in and turn on the camera and the printer.
As root, run this command:

apt-get  -u install hpoj hpoj-xojpanel hptalx hpijs hotplug gphoto2 digikam

It may offer to install more software, that's probably a good idea.

The hotplug packages deals with setting up USB devices you plug in and remove while the system's powered up. For you, that's your camera and printer.

I think after this your printer will be pretty-much configured, _but_ you can't print yet.

gphoto2 provides the drivers for your camera (we hope!), and digikam is one of several photo-handling programs. I think digikam (and other like programs) ask you a few questions first time you start them, and provide means to change their settings later.

You might also want to do this:

apt-get -u install cupsys cupsys-client cupsys-driver-gimpprint cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data

Again, if apt-get wants to install more, that's a good idea. These packages combine to give you enterprise-class printing support. It works well with KDE.

Once that's done, point Konqueror (or other web browser) at http://127.0.0.1:631/

Click "manage printers," "add printer" login as root and do what seams best.
When you get to choose the device, your printer should appear as one of the USB printers.

At least, my HP 3550 did yesterday:-)

If this is all too much for you

Tell us what town/city/country you live in. Likely someone lives nearby and can drop in and help you out, or point you at your local Linux Users Group where someone will be sure to help.

Also, your absent nevvie may be able to help out across the Internet.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait