Diskless Debian PCs / Network Boot

Hi All,

I am trying to build a network of Debian PCs which must be diskless. The idea is that every once in a while the clients can be booted (may be remotely?) to download an upgraded kernel. Previously, we have used removable hard drives - very time consuming.

From browsing around, I've come to learn that there are a number of ways that this can be achieved, eg: TCP/IP PXE (hard pxe for intel nics), Etherboot (soft pxe), etc.

I would like to hear from people who have attempted this before and have some useful tips to offer. May be some one could weigh-in with advantages/disadvantages of using one option over another.

I anticipate that our client PCs will be based on Intel motherboards.

Thanks!

Salman