Re: [ANN] wxProportionalSplitterWindow

> Thanks for the comments Otto.  I agree that the original
> wxSplitterWindow would benefit from some attention and maybe a
> complete redesign since there are some great features that could be
> added to a modern splitter implementation (e.g. textured splitter
> bars, min/max/restore btns on the splitter etc).

I always needs a person who is willing to spent the time to delve into
something others might find usable as well.

> I'm very new to wxWindows and this was part of the first application
> I'd written (still writing actually), so I'm expecting some tough
> feedback from the experts, although I don't detect much interest so
> far :-) Actually, I was hoping someone would point me in the direction
> of a really good proportional splitter implementation, but it seems
> like something that only a few people have been interested in.

I appreciate your effort to solve a minor point as a beginner. If anyone
would think as you many problems wouldn't exist. IMO one of the best way
to get familiar is always to solve something so others can just use it.

The problem is all the core developers are hard pressed to keep up with
their own tasks as I am. Still I think if someone comes up with
something reasonable he deserves an answer.

IMO it would be best if there is just a single wxSplitWindow class which
does more than the current wxSplitterWindow instead of several different
implementations. But it also have to take into account the current use
in all the applications. Just look once at wxTreeListCtrl, the only
difference to wxTreeCtrl is you have to add a "AddColumn" to your app.
>From then on you could use all the extended functionality. BTW I use
wxTreeListCtrl productive in wyoEditor for the class browser.

If anyone has a good idea and a valid name for a control he can open a
component at wxCode. wxCode has a big advantage, anyone, even beginners,
can publish something. All someone may be faced is critics if the name
isn't well choosen or if I think it's the wrong way. From then on only
the code within CVS counts.

> btw: I've come across alot of your stuff while I've been learning
> wxWidgets over the past few weeks and found some realy good stuff.
> Thanks for making it all available to us.

Well, I'd prefer to just _use_ good stuff, at least wxWidgets gives me
the possiblity to create some good stuff. For that I'm really thankful.
I hope all my efforts make the free software world a little better.

O. Wyss

--
How to enhance your code, see "http://freshmeat.net/projects/wxguide/";