Re: many packages depend on mozilla-browser but I build it from source

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:40:55 -0700
William Ballard <40711.nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 05:32:50PM -0700, William Ballard wrote:
> > .......  However,
> > many other interesting packages also depend on mozilla-browser.
>
> Strike that: apparently I was way off base.  A lot of the things like
> "c-cpp-reference" don't explicitly depend on mozilla-browser; they
> only depend on www-browser and aptitude shows them as "depends" in
> "Packages Which Depend On Mozilla-Browser" (which really isn't
> accurate, btw).
>
> Looking at the list more closely, none of the packages that explicitly
>
> depend on mozilla-browser are things I want: they are either
> extensions which I manage myself or they are things like galeon or
> epiphany which I don't want.
>
> This libgecko-cil seems to be a new breed: it's some sort of wrapper
> for embedding moz as a widget.  I *do* want it but I don't want to
> install Debian's mozilla-browser.  Hmm.  I'm perplexed as to how to
> proceed.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Equivs should still be an option. Or, if you really dislike that and
still want to compile your own Mozilla, why not find the homepage for
libgecko-cil and compile it from source, too? The reasons you cite for
liking to compile your own Mozilla would seem to apply to libgecko-cil
too...

HTH,
Jacob

--