Re: [OT] yahoo protocol switching

on Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 04:40:53PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen (nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu) wrote:
> on Thu, 24 Jun 2004 04:13:03PM -0500, Kirk Strauser insinuated:
> > On Thursday 2004-06-24 03:47 pm, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> >
> > > dude, i totally would, but this one is not under my control -- my
> > > company uses yahoo IM to do half of our work, and i don't think
> > > they're open to switching.
> >
> > Ouch!  That's not a great situation.
> >
> > > i'll propose it to my boss, but people can  be surprisingly
> > > resistent to change ...
> >
> > Here's how you suggest it: "Boss, there's a great solution that we
> > can use for free, and it gives us complete control over our
> > messaging system.  It's secure because our information never leaves
> > our network unless we want it to, and we can put free encryption on
> > it so that messages from salespeople out in the field can't be
> > intercepted by our Internet company." -- Kirk Strauser
>
> yeah, the thing is, he knows about all of this.  he'd like to switch,
> he just can't handle helping everybody convert.
>
> so i took matters into my own hands.  i'm having a small group of us
> (10-15) download gaim and other clients, and sign up at gabfest.net
> (thanks a lot, jamin!), for a proof-of-concept; we'll hopefully
> migrate to our own server soon.  i told him about this, and he got all
> excited about involving developers in the IT side of things (we're a
> smaaaaaaall company, you see) ... looks like the wheels are in motion.
>
> ahh, all those little lightbulb icons down my gaim buddy list make me
> happy ...

Problem I've had with GAIM on WinXP Pro (pardoning the OT issues) is
that the installer fails with what appears to be a Win32/16 problem in
the command interpreter.  I found some MSFT KB articles referencing
solutions in NT, but nothing appropriate to XP.

Given I have a bit more control over the computing environment, my own
solution is to implement messaging on the GNU/Linux server and encourage
use of remote X sessions through this.  Kids are awfully like cats....

Peace.

     With tears in our eyes, we drove off into the sunset lookin' for
     another place to put the garbage.
    - A. Guthrie