many packages depend on mozilla-browser but I build it from source

I want to try monodevelop, which depends on libgecko-cil (a mono binding
for embedding Moz) which in turn depends on mozilla-browser.  However,
many other interesting packages also depend on mozilla-browser.

I build mozilla from source, and don't install it via a .deb or even
install it at all, I just run explicitly from its own directory, not in
the normal /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.  After I build it I just copy
dist/bin somewhere and launch moz explicitly from there.

I like it like that: because then no apps are really cognizant of Moz's
existence unless I explicitly wire them up, which I consider A Good
Thing.

I suppose I'll just have to make a dummy mozilla-browser package with
equivs and install that, and deal with breakages myself.  Do you think
that will be feasible?

Why do all these packages explictly depend on mozilla-browser?  Don't
most people run Firefox now?  If I just make "mozilla" launchible on the
path, won't that satisfy what most of these packages are looking for,
except the ones which try to embed mozilla?