Re: Top-Posting (WAS: Re: is it possible to change apt-get's access priorities?)

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:00:06 +0200, Thomas Adam
<thomas_adam16@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Monique Y. Mudama" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote:
>
> > Please note that top-quoting is not the preferred quoting method for
> > mailing lists and newsgroups.  By placing your replies after relevant
>
> I cannot agree more with this, Monique, but you and I (and others) both
> know that such suggestions will just go un-heeded, and people will _still_
> continue to top-post. I personally delete all top-posted e-mails and
> refuse to answer them.

I agree with you, top-posting makes postings unreadable, but:
some people subscribed to a mailinglist do this for their work. It is
likely that their employer decides which program to use for e-mail,
and I know for a fact (unfortunately...) that some employers have
chosen to use Lotus Notes as the only installed e-mail program on
employee's computers.

In case you don't know Lotus Notes: the user interface is written in
such a way that it is almost impossible to post messages in the
correct style - you're almost forced to top-post. With something like
Outlook, you're only stimulated to top-post, with Lotus Notes you
simply don't have much choice.

For this reason, I'm not as harsh as you, I do accept top-posted
e-mails because the poster might not have had a choice. Although I
think Lotus Notes user should start their message with an apology and
explanation for their behaviour...

--
Matthijs
vanaalten@hotmail.com