Re: why devfs w/ 2.6.x kernel? prob w/ initrd-tools

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 05:33:21PM -0700, Richard Weil wrote:
| What's the rational for building 2.6 series kernels with devfs? Devfs
| is deprecated.

Backwards compatibility, I imagine.  Some people started using devfs
with the 2.4 kernels and their system would break without it.  Having
it as an option doesn't hurt and it can be turned off if you don't
like it or have upgraded to udev.  (udev, btw, wasn't production-ready
at the time 2.6.0 was released)

| Simply ignoring it would seem fine, but ... a bug report
| was filed against initrd-tools because it won't work with root raid on

My first RAID experience was with a 3Ware controller.  It works just
fine, even with the root fs on the raid array.  The BIOS handles
everything needed for bootstrapping.  The OS merely sees a single SCSI
block device.  (Just FYI, since you're clearly using software raid)

-D

--
There are six things the Lord hates,
    seven that are detestable to him :