why devfs w/ 2.6.x kernel? prob w/ initrd-tools

What's the rational for building 2.6 series kernels with devfs? Devfs
is deprecated. Simply ignoring it would seem fine, but ... a bug report
was filed against initrd-tools because it won't work with root raid on
a system on which you're not using devfs. I was glad to see this bug
report because I've recently struggled to get root raid to work with a
stock Debian kernel and I couldn't find the problem. However, the
maintainer of initrd-tools downgraded the bug to minor and said that
initrd-tools will only work with the default kernel, which presumes
devfs. This means that if you want root raid you must not only compile
your own kernel, you can not use an initrd kernel. This isn't a huge
deal, but it seems awfully stupid, given that devfs is a dead end --
why cause the inconvience? Is there a reason for carrying a dead kernel
"feature" into a new release, which does than cause other problems?

Richard