Re: openoffice won't import eps postscript graphic

Dave:

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 01:48:38PM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> I wrote
> >>I'm trying to import an EPS file into OOo Writer. I choose
> >>Insert/Graphics/FromFile... then select EPS as the file type and click
> >>on my eps file But when I press the open button, it says 'Unknown
> >>graphic format'. I haven't been able to find anything in the help or
> >>on this list.
> >>
> >>I'm running Woody with:
> >>openoffice.org              1.0.3-2
> >>openoffice.org-bin          1.0.3-1woody2
> >>openoffice.org-debian-files 1.0.3-2+1
> >>openoffice.org-help-en      1.0.3-2
> >>openoffice.org-I10n-en      1.0.3-2
> >>(I don't know why the versions are slightly different)
> >>
> >>The eps file was created by Grace 5.1.7.
> >>
> >>Can anybody suggest what might be causing the problem or how to fix it?
>
> Roberto Sanchez replied:
> >IS it actually an EPS graphic? or a PS graphic that was just saved
> >with an EPS extension?  Try opening it in the GIMP and resaving it.

You can check the file format via: 'file name_of_file'.

> Well I saved it using the EPS device, not the PostScript device, and the
> first line says %!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0. There does seem to be something
> odd about it though because I get a different problem when loading other
> EPS files from our professional visual aids department. When I load
> those, OOo displays the title, creator, and time notes instead of the
> picture. Is there some way to see the image?

EPS files can include a rastered version of the image which when opened
in OO, and also in MS presentation, is displayed in the preview box, and
on the page when finally positioned.  Only when the final PostScript is
generated does the actual EPS image get displayed.  To include such a
rastered version, use "ps2epsi".

I have used "eps2eps" on occasion to get a good quality EPS iamge for
inclusion in a document.  It may not help you, but it too might be worth a
try.

> I tried saving my file from the GIMP. Then it has the second problem
> rather than the first. The GIMP rasterizes it when it loads it and saves
> that in the file - I certainly don't want that.

> Cheers, Dave

Regards,

Dean

--