Re: recompiled kernel, now no framebuffer

Well, the 5th times the charm I guess. It is now working. To get it working, I said "Y" to the following options using menuconfig:

Support for framebuffer devices
VESA VGA graphics support
VGA text console
Video mode selection support
Framebuffer console support
Select compiled in fonts
VGA 8x8 font
VGA 8x16 font

I said "N" to all framebuffer device drivers except VESA.

I also added a "video" boot option to the kernel. My grub menu.lst kernel entry is now:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7-win4lin root=/dev/hda1 ro hdc=scsi video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317

I got the video options from gentoo documentation. Hope this helps anyone else having the same problem.

-Matt