Re: question about kernel 2.6

j smith wrote:
> thanks!
>
> i read the Debian book, but it explicitly says:
>
> "Note that you don't have to compile your kernel the
> ``Debian way''; but we find that using the packaging
> system to manage your kernel is actually safer and
> easier."
>
> so i choose non-debian way. the correct command is
> "make modules_install", it warns me that "you may need
> to install modules_init_tools" and complains
> "unresolved symbols"
>
> could you offer some suggestion?

Using either way if the method is applied correctly the compile should be ok
provided you have installed all the required software.
 In your case you appear to not have installed 'module_init_tools'. This is
esential for 2.6.x series of kernels .

Apt-get install module_init-tools should fix the error msg and hopefully the
problem.

--
Cheers
Russ.