Re: Debian's javac vs Sun's new installation of j2sdk

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:32:57 +0300
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> The update alternatives will let you choose between the java's. It does
> not pickup the javac from Sun (must be manually put in there. Java must be
>
> manually put into alternatives as well if not done using a proper .deb.
>
> I installed the Sun Java using their self-extracting .bin.
> Exported JAVA_HOME and put the /bin on my path
>
> Also tried the update-alternatives using the "dummy packages" from Debian.
>
> Java was broken a long while back by a XFree86 upgrade--at least then,
> Netbeans would try to execute and kick me off X. Reinstalled everything,
> tried everyting. Now I only get:
> # java
> java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
>
> Setting alternatives to the Gnu stuff will work as compiler. One needs the
>
> Java VM for anything else.

Weird. I've installed Java many times on RedHat. I just recently did it
on testing it exactly the same way (minus /etc/profile in X adjustments)
and it worked exactly as expected. Never even heard of this alternatives
business.

Mike

--
Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.