Re: Debian's javac vs Sun's new installation of j2sdk

On Friday 09 July 2004 05:51, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > You should go to <http://z42.de/debian/>. Get j2se-package, convert your
> > JRE to a deb, download the matching *debian-deb for your Java version,
> > and install both the downloaded package and the converted JRE. The
> > package management will take care of the symlinks in /etc/alternatives
> > and even install symlinks to make the Java plugin work with Mozilla,
> > Netscape and Firefox. You should probably deinstall the gjc packages
> > first.
>
> Bah. You can't be serious. Why would anyone be expected to go through this
> procedure just to install Java? Why not just unpack the sun.com archive in
> /usr/local/ and export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java and
> PATH=$PATH:${JAVA_HOME}/bin?

The update alternatives will let you choose between the java's. It does not
pickup the javac from Sun (must be manually put in there. Java must be
manually put into alternatives as well if not done using a proper .deb.

I installed the Sun Java using their self-extracting .bin.
Exported JAVA_HOME and put the /bin on my path

Also tried the update-alternatives using the "dummy packages" from Debian.

Java was broken a long while back by a XFree86 upgrade--at least then,
Netbeans would try to execute and kick me off X. Reinstalled everything,
tried everyting. Now I only get:
# java
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

Setting alternatives to the Gnu stuff will work as compiler. One needs the
Java VM for anything else.