locale not set, how do I set it?

I have 3.4 installed to the hard disk. Trying to install software with KPackage. It succesfully get the packages but when it tries to install I get the following:
perl: warning: Setting locale failed
   LANGUAGE = (unset),
   LC_ALL = "en_US",
   LANG="C"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
and then a bunch of dpkg-deb: subprocess tar killed by signal messages.

How/where do I set the locale?

--
Jerry