Re: locale not set, how do I set it?

* Jerry <riechert@qwest.net> [2004 Jul 09 06:11 -0500]:
> I have 3.4 installed to the hard disk. Trying to install software with
> KPackage. It succesfully get the packages but when it tries to install I
> get the following:
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed
>    LANGUAGE = (unset),
>    LC_ALL = "en_US",
>    LANG="C"
>  are supported and installed on your system.
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
> and then a bunch of dpkg-deb: subprocess tar killed by signal messages.
>
> How/where do I set the locale?

Install the locales package as afore mentioned.  Helping a friend do an
install yesterday after a HD crash we installed locales through
aptitude.  Strangely, we had to run dpkg-reconfigure locales to set it
up properly.  In the user's home directory I've always added "export
LANG=en_US" to ~/.bashrc  I also use localepurge to only keep my
prefered locale files on my systems.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of