Re: Debian's javac vs Sun's new installation of j2sdk

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:17:16 -0400
"H. S." <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Apparently, _Jacob S._, on 07/08/04 14:51,typed:
> > On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 14:36:17 -0400
> > "H. S." <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >>In my Testing distribution, I noticed that I have javac already (new
> >
> >>install a couple of months back). Earlier I used to download Sun's
> >>j2sdk and install that. Now that I already have javac (probably
> >>provided by Debian), in what way would the new installation of j2skd
> >>be affected by it?
> >

> > Have you done an "ls -l" on javac? Last I checked, it was just a
> > symlink to /etc/default/javac or something, which in turn pointed to
> > a nonexistent filename. After I installed Sun's j2re, I changed the
> > symlinks to point to Sun's java and javac.
>
> Here is what I have:
> /usr/bin/javac -> /etc/alternatives/javac -> /usr/bin/gcj-wrapper-3.3
> /usr/bin/javah -> /etc/alternatives/javah -> /usr/bin/gcjh-wrapper-3.3
>

> These are provided by these packages:
>
> ||/ Name             Version          Description
> +++-================-================-=============================
> ii  gcj              3.3.4-1          The GNU Java compiler
> ii  gcj-3.3          3.3.4-2          The GNU compiler for Java(TM)
>

> I am not sure what "pn" means but I have this installed too:
> ||/ Name                Version           Description
> +++-========================-========================-===============
> === pn  free-java-sdk       <none>            (no description
> available)

Oops, my bad. Looks like Testing and Unstable have their own java-sdks
now.

"pn" means the desired action is "purge" and the current state is "not
installed".

Yes, removing gcj and gcj-3.3 should get rid of javac and javah, but
of course you'll need to watch out for dependencies. Also, if you don't
have to have Sun's java, it looks like you should be able to apt-get
install free-java-sdk and have the same tools that you would get from
Sun's package.

HTH,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #28:
Linux. When you want to get there today!