Re: Pick up a shell session after ssh timeout

Am 08.07.2004 um 14:11 schrieb LeVA:

> > Oh, but it is, by using screen(1), for example.
> That is not a solution for the original problem. If you've read that
> mail, then you should know that it was about a ping timeoutted session,
> which is irrecoverable... The solution which you are talking about, is
> for *keeping* alive that session while not logged in.

Sure, this is not a solution this time.  But maybe it is a solution
for the next time:

$ ssh user@remotehost
Welcome to remotehost
$ screen
$ long_task

When you press C-a C-d now, you detach yourself from your screen
session, which means that long_task will continue to run using a
virtual terminal simulated by screen.

Log out, go for lunch.

When you return, you can rejoin your previously opened screen
session:

$ ssh user@remotehost
Welcome to remotehost
$ screen -x

And zap! You are exactly where you came from before you detached
from your old session.  And this is just a little bit of what screen
can do for you.  I found it to be very useful and quite addictive.

Regards,
Dennis

--
Send personal mail to dennis@... only. Mails going to lists@stosberg.net
will not reach me unless they are sent via the list address.