Pick up a shell session after ssh timeout

Hello list,

I'd like to know if it's possible to pick up a shell session that was running
over a ssh session that timed out.

Here's what I mean:

SSH into the webserver at the 7th floor (I'm on the 4th), start up something
(say apt-get dist-upgrade), next thing the phone rings, hey Angelina what's
up, if I'd like to go out for lunch to the place? Sure, meet you downstairs.
After lunch I return and the SSH session timed out.
When I SSH back into the machine, I can see in the process list that the bash
session (and the apt-get) is still running.

Is there any way to pick up where I left?

joost

PS: I admit, I made up the Angelina stuff :)

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.