Re: Slow disk - hdparm, S.M.A.R.T, badblocks, what else?

If this isn't a problem that suddenly manifested itself, it might be
the ide cable to the drive. I had a drive running slowly (a Maxtor,
too) and just got a big improvement in it's performance by using a new
cable. I got a round ATA133 cable for $4.00 and the drive's performance
radically improved. I knew it was the cable, though, because the drive
had been running fast in a nearly identical system with the only real
difference being the cable. Also, though you probably know more about
than I do, the -I flag of hdparm is pretty useful for info.

Richard