Re: excellent advice for x-server driver [was Re: Unidentified subject!]

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 03:19:50AM +0000, p wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 10:00:58PM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
>
> __deletia__
>
> > to configure your graphics card, which can
> > be tricky if you have newer hardware. If you are unsure, select the
> > 'vesa' server, that will give you the best chance of success.
> >

> __deletia__
>
> > HTH,
> > David
> >

> __deletia__
> >

> //
>
> i've spent a lot of time during the holiday weekend
> trying to get x on a "thinkpad" (#2652).  ...never
> thought to try the "vesa" driver (in xfree86).  ...
> works beautifully!

Great! When I had my laptop, it was the only thing I could get working.
That was a relief. (Much) later, I managed to get it all working the way
it should. But in the meantime, I wasn't frustrated, :-)

> excellent advice, david!
>
> this list is great!

I know! I've had some great advice, here.

BTW, you don't have acceleration support (not even 2D). You could try on
debian-laptop, post your laptop specs, the output of lspci and post the
symptoms of your problems. If you manage to get the correct driver
working, screen operations will be many times faster.

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!