Re: Unidentified subject!

On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 09:11:04PM +0100, JOHN WALL wrote:
> could some one help please. Have installed debian GNU v3.0r2(non us)
> Everything seemed to go in fine, except for some seek errors which I
> assume is normal. Got to user name and password OK. then nothing,
> I was expecting some format like windows, GUI, all I have is a flashing
> cursor. I`ve installed this program lots of times and even tried different
> flavours but always get the same result. What If anything is wrong ?

Your installation went just fine! Welcome to the console! In other
words, you can log in (you did, I think) and then use that blinking
cursor to get some work done. To elaborate a bit on pigeon's point, log
in as root first, and then type

tasksel

then check the boxes saying (something like) 'X window system' and
'desktop environment' and say yes when your system wants to install a
lot of packages. You'll have to configure your graphics card, which can
be tricky if you have newer hardware. If you are unsure, select the
'vesa' server, that will give you the best chance of success. If you
have any trouble at all, feel free to ask more questions.

HTH,
David

PS: Are you subscribed to the list?

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!