Re: acme

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:29:50 -0700
Paul Yeatman <pyeatman@ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Hi, for anyone running Sarge, the "acme" package was a cool new feature
> to me that allowed you to set up "multimedia keys" on whatever keyboard
> one has.  Starting with updates a couple weeks ago, "acme" now
> conflicts with "gnome" and other foundational gnome packages.
> Eventhough initially gnome and acme were installed together, apparently
> now they can't be.  Just curious if anyone knows anything about this?

You can usually figure this out yourself with a little iterative use
of apt-get.  e.g. if you try "apt-get install foo" and it tries to remove
bar, following that up with "apt-get install foo bar" will tell you
where the conflict is.  Sometimes you have to go a few times in, e.g.
"apt-get foo bar" responds by trying to remove baz, so you have to do
a "apt-get foo bar baz".  But eventually you can see what the complaint
is.

You failed to include a transcript of your attempt at installation, but
a qucick look at acme on packages.debian.org shows that it appears to
depend on GNOME-ish libraries that are all present in current-enough
versions on sarge.  Are you sure it's conflicting with GNOME?  Or is it
simply trying to remove meta-packages that don't have any actual
contents, like the packages "gnome" and "gnome-desktop-environment"?

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)