Re: New (LAN) web server: do I use stable, testing or unstable?

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 11:02:31PM +0200, Felix C. Stegerman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently acquired a 2nd hand PC I want to use as a web server.
> For now, I just want the server to be accessible from my LAN,
> later I may want to connect it to the Internet
> through my ADSL connection.
>
> Specifications:
>  CPU: 466MHz Celeron
>  RAM: 128MB DDR PC100
>  NIC: 3Com 10/100
>  Drives:
>   hda: 8.4 GB Seagate
>   hdb: 8.4 GB Seagate
>   fd0: 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive
>
> It has no CD-ROM drive, but I can use one temporarily if I have to.
>
> I want to have a basic web server set-up on this PC,
> with Apache, PHP, MySQL.
> I'll need SSH to do administration later on,
> because I don't intend to leave a keyboard and monitor connected to it.
> Maybe later I'll want to experiment with a ftp server and some
> other server-services.
>
> Of course I'm using Debian as the OS.
>
> I'm just not sure whether to use stable, testing or unstable.

If you can use stable its probably a better choice. On my home firewall
I setup stable. It doesn't need much upgrading (only gets security
upgrades anyway) and is rock solid.

The problem with woody is that its quite old by now, although
considering the specs of your machine it would probably be the better
choice.

I just installed a new server running testing/unstable but I needed
some newer software (or at least wanted to play around with it ;-). It
seems ok by now but hasn't seen much abuse yet so I can't comment on
long run usage.