Re: New (LAN) web server: do I use stable, testing or unstable?

Felix C. Stegerman wrote:

I've recently acquired a 2nd hand PC I want to use as a web server.

<snip>

Now, finally, here's my question:
What version would you recommend? And, of course, why?

stable

Because it's, well, stable. And that's presumably what you want in a server.

If you find you can't stand it because of the age of the packages, you can upgrade to sarge with two commands (particularly once sarge becomes stable, as you referred to in your message). Upgrading on Debian is too easy when going from "old stable" to "new stable" to worry much about it. It's also pretty easy to upgrade even when you're going to a testing/unstable branch (usually).

--
Kent