Re: postscript-enabled mozilla package anyone

Michael B Allen <mba2000@ioplex.com> wrote:

|> Right the choices are A) not print, B) downgrade or C) install
|> xprt-xprintorg. Personally I think people should try C before
|> bitching too much.

Option C) was the one that I tried, and I've had all the problems
reported here. First no printing at all, until I installed
xprt-xprintorg. Still no printing until I edited .bash_profile in
mysterious ways I found discussed on this list (kill X, log out, log
in, start X); then tiny quarter-page size printing; then hunting
through Google, and mailing-list archives, and FAQs, trying to find
out where the configuration files were kept[1] (this information isn't
anywhere that I at least can find in /usr/share/doc/xprt-xprintorg),
and trying to find which one to edit; then editing in trial and error
fashion. After half a day or so of work, I have restored my ability to
print from a browser (an ability which, like most users, I was able to
take for granted before).

I can't imagine that there are many desktop-users who are going to be
willing or able to go through this. What would Eric Raymond's Aunt
Tillie (`the archetypal nontechnical user')[2] make of it?

Jim

[1] It turns out that they're in /etc/Xprint/
[2] http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html