Pc Pauses when I transfer files over network or from drive to drive.

Well Ive tried just about everything I can think of... switch NICS tried using different types of file sharing but I still have the same problem.

My computer pauses... Likes stops responding for 10 15 seconds at a time. So it will transfer and work fine for 2 seconds and then lockup... and then transfer again... its very odd.. I was wondering if anyone could have some kind of explanation for this. Im using Linux 2.4.25-l-k7 (unstable).

Thank you
Thomas G.