Re: Debian Woody login problem

http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxHints/OneDiskToAnother

> It starts up fine from the first drive, and the kernal
> starts up fine from the second, but when it comes to
> the login screen I can only log in as root. For the
> other accounts, after giving name and pass, the screen
> goes black for a moment (monitor lights indicate
> power-save mode) then it dumps me back to the login
> screen. If I give a bad password I just get the usual
> "can't authenticate" warning.

Login as root, and run:

/etc/init.d/rmnologin

Then see if you can login as other users.

> Also, when I'm logged into the second drive as root
> trying to do `man` gives me a warning "can't create
> temporary filename: Permission denied".

(see the URL quoted above). This sounds like you haven't edited /etc/fstab
on the bootable drive correctly.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net