Re: pppoa package available?

In article <[🔎] 40EABBF0.7030905@noaa.gov>,
Russell D Cook <Russell.D.Cook@noaa.gov> wrote:
>  DSL recently became available in my rural area, and I subscribed.  I
>use a linux stable machine as a firewall and
>gateway for my home lan, accessing the dsl modem via an ethernet port.
>My provider advises me that they will
>be changing over to ATM soon, and will be providing me a new modem.

What kind of modem ? Ethernet or USB (actually I mean, how does it
connect to your computer).

If it's an ethernet modem, then all the PPPoA stuff will be done in
the ADSL modem/router itself. Your PC will just speak ethernet.

If it's an USB modem, then you have a bigger problem - AFAIK, there's
support for only one kind of USB ADSL modem under Linux and not even
in the standard kernel - The SpeedTouch USB. See
http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/ . Any other modem will
likely not work, and getting the speedtouch driver to work is not trivial.

Just make sure they provide you with an ethernet ADSL modem/router,
or just get one from the store if they don't (zyxel, e-tech,
linksys, etc).

Mike.