Re: vmware packaged as .deb

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 05:13:32AM -0700, William Ballard wrote:
} On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:01:41AM -0400, Gregory Seidman wrote:
} > On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 03:20:02AM -0700, William Ballard wrote:
} > } The guy who packages ATI fglrx drivers for Debian
} > } (http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html)
} > } is a godsend.
} > }
} > } Has anybody ever done a similar sort of thing to VMWare?  It would be
} > } highly useful.
} >
} > Honestly, I find letting their install script install in /usr/local
} > works just fine. I wouldn't bother with a .deb since it isn't really an
} > issue with dependencies or anything.
}
} Yeah, it's not too bad, but the kernel modules kind of kludge up
} removing my kernel and all my other modules packaged as .debs (have to
} manually delete them).

Yes, it will place stuff in /lib/modules/`uname -r` but that just means
that when you remove a kernel it warns you that the directory isn't
empty. Fine. If you really need to reclaim the disk space, you can
delete the directory by hand. Of course, the modules are a total of
under 100k (yes, for each kernel).

} And manually doing things like
} rm -r `find /usr/local -name '*vmware* -type d`
} rm `find /usr/local -name '*vm{ware,net,-support}*' -type f`
} rm -r /etc/vmware
}
} whenever a new build comes out is so un-Debian like.
} Some nice Debianized scripts would be oh-so-nice.

Um, vmware has a perfectly good uninstall script. It works nicely.
Furthermore, the vmware install script will move an old version out of
the way.

--Greg