Re: vmware packaged as .deb

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:01:41AM -0400, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 03:20:02AM -0700, William Ballard wrote:
> } The guy who packages ATI fglrx drivers for Debian
> } (http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html)
> } is a godsend.
> }
> } Has anybody ever done a similar sort of thing to VMWare?  It would be
> } highly useful.
>
> Honestly, I find letting their install script install in /usr/local
> works just fine. I wouldn't bother with a .deb since it isn't really an
> issue with dependencies or anything.

Yeah, it's not too bad, but the kernel modules kind of kludge up
removing my kernel and all my other modules packaged as .debs (have to
manually delete them).

And manually doing things like
rm -r `find /usr/local -name '*vmware* -type d`
rm `find /usr/local -name '*vm{ware,net,-support}*' -type f`
rm -r /etc/vmware

whenever a new build comes out is so un-Debian like.
Some nice Debianized scripts would be oh-so-nice.