Re: kppp problem

Hello

Tadek (<tadek@telus.net>) wrote:

> Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> wrote
>
>> Tadek (<tadek@telus.net>) wrote:
>>
>> > I am having a problem with KPPP (2.1.4 KDE 3.2.2 sarge
>> > distribution). The same connection using command line utility
>> > (pppconfig and pon)
>> > works just fine.  With KPPP program attempts to connect (login
>> > script's debug window displays series of AT commands and responses
>> > with the last one CONNECT 45333). Unfortunately it then displays
>> > pop message with following text:
>> >
>> > Error - KPPP
>> > The pppd daemon died unexpectedly!
>> > ExitStatus 1
>> >
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > I looked at the log files.  1) There is no /var/log/syslog.ppp.  2)
>> > in syslog I found following entries:
>> >
>> > Jul  4 20:43:39 lc2430 pppd[1476]: The remote system is required to
>> > authenticate itself
>>
>> Edit /etc/ppp/options and change "auto" to "noauth".
>>
> Thank you it worked for me.  I guess the question remains why did I
> have to do it since 'customize pppd arguments...' setting (gui KPPP
> configuration tool) was noauth? I understand /etc/ppp/options is
> global for all connection definition.  Do you know where particular
> connection definition are stored?

In /etc/ppp/peers. These options have however have no influence on kppp,
except you would configure it to use that preconfigured connection.
Maybe you can do that by setting the custom pppd options to

call provider

but I don't know if that works. I also think the custom pppd options can
be appled if kppp is run as root, or if it is suid root.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976