kppp problem

I am having a problem with KPPP (2.1.4 KDE 3.2.2 sarge distribution).
The same connection using command line utility (pppconfig and pon)
works just fine.  With KPPP program attempts to connect (login
script's debug window displays series of AT commands and responses
with the last one CONNECT 45333). Unfortunately it then displays pop
message with following text:

Error - KPPP
The pppd daemon died unexpectedly!
ExitStatus 1

See man pppd
Details Button

When I press Details, I get another popup with:

Cannot open any of the following log files:
/var/log/syslog.ppp
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/messages

I looked at the log files.  1) There is no /var/log/syslog.ppp.  2) in
syslog I found following entries:

Jul  4 20:43:39 lc2430 pppd[1476]: The remote system is required to
authenticate itself
Jul  4 20:43:39 lc2430 pppd[1476]: but I couldn't find any suitable
secret (password) for it to use to do so.
Jul  4 20:43:39 lc2430 pppd[1476]: (None of the available passwords
would let it use an IP address.)

I am using PAP as an authentication and under "Customize pppd
arguments..." I have only one argument added : noauth (default).

I feel a bit lost. Could anybody help me with the above?  I would
prefer using KPPP rather than command line pon etc, because of the
accounting features.

Thank you,
Tad Dragowski