debian kernel: what to do with everything

Having compiled my own kernel from a kernel downloaded from ftp.kernel.org or a mirror thereof for years, last night I finally got brave and installed a kernel from DEBIAN sources. this was due in large part to the simple and straightforward howto at www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm. But now I am a bit confused as to what to do with all that this compilation has left in /usr/src. For each kernel there's the kernel source tree, the kernel headers, a .deb for docs, a .deb for changes, a .deb for "all", and of course a .deb for the image!!! So what does one remove and what does one keep? Does one keep a kernel source tree for each kernel and switch the /usr/src/linux link accordingly, or is it customary to delete the source tree and link with the kernel headers? and what does one do with all the .deb packages, some or most of which I would think you would want to keep? Could somebody please help me sort this out?
Thanks.

--
Cheryl