Re: Re : L 90 90 90 90 90

>From Owen Jones on Monday, 2004-07-05 at 09:18:32 +0100:
> Hi, tried using the rescue disk but it through up this error :
> Kernel Panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 3a:05
> The lilo error cant of been caused by me using bitmaps this was a new install
> I like david barons idea, there may well be corrupt boot records,
> this thing is messed up from trying to install many diferant OS's

I had a related problem recently.  I used Knoppix to boot the computer,
and wanted to chroot and reinstall lilo, but Knoppix could not find the
partition table (no partitions were listed in /etc/fstab, and I could
not mount the hard disk).

The initial symptoms were 90 90 90 on the screen, as you describe, and
on another occasion a message "no operating system" when I tried to boot.
I wish I could describe for you more precisely what the situation was,
but this is all I remember.

At first I thought I was sunk, but then I tried the System Rescue CD,
and it (somehow!) found the partition table and booted into the
lost system with the "disk1" boot option:

http://www.sysresccd.org/

I don't know what magic this CD uses, but it sure helped me!

Conrad